Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Shellie Petty Interview







I have called others, people you just have to root for. Very few qualify for that statement more than Shellie Petty. Getting into the gym because she was overweight at age 46 and within a year competing in a bodybuilding competition. Remarkable and inspiring. Reading her interview you can see the obvious love she has for the sport, and the sport is better off for having her involved in it. I first got to meet her because I was aware she knew Jeannie Paparone, and my love for Jeannie is no secret. I am so glad I got the chance to know Shellie, because Shellie is also someone worthy of respect, admiration, and support. Here is your chane to get to know Shellie Petty.


Q: First, Shellie, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A:I have lived in Vegas since I was 3. I am the oldest of 5 kids.

Q: Before bodybuilding, were you always an athletic person? Play any sports?
A: I have always been very athletic. My father was a college athlete and got 3 girls before he got his first son, lol, so I was pretty much a tomboy growing up.

Q: What initially got you into the gym?
A: At the age of 46, I was overweight and hired Diana Dennis to do a diet for me. After seeing the body fat disappear, I had incredible muscle mass and symmetry underneath.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I picked up weight training incredibly quickly with little to no assistance. It was like it was something that came very naturally to me. I had great form and focus early on.

Q: Was competing the goal from day one, and if not what made you decide to compete?
A: Not at all. I never considered competing until I leaned out and saw the mass and symmetry underneath. I was approached by several competitive bodybuilders and asked if I "competed". Lol, I didn't know what they were talking about until I asked. Then they said "you're a bodybuilder, right?" It was kinda funny. My brother in law was a competitive BB and he told me that i was built to compete.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: Yes, my family has always supported me through every sport I competed in.

Q: Was the first contest what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: My first show was incredible! It was a National Qualifier, and entered it after only one year of lifting.

Q: Do you keep track of measurements or best lifts, and if so can you share them?
A: Best lift is leg press, 1080lbs for 4 reps. Best measurement was quads at 28".

Q: What do you consider your best body part or the one that gets the most compliments?
A: I'd say legs and pecs.

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train?
A: Tough question, I love training them all. I guess it would have to be biceps and pecs.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: 5x a week off season. Precontest i do "2 a dayers" cardio in the morning and weights at night ending with cardio.

Q: When someone sees your physique for the first time, what is the most common response? More positive or negative?
A: Offseason its always positive. Precontest I get few negative comments from (smaller) guys, lol. Women are much more supportive of my precontest look.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question you are sick of hearing?
A: Without a doubt it is "WHAT DO YOU BENCH?" They don't understand its not HOW MUCH you lift, but HOW you lift, combined with diet and cardio.

Q: Are there any misconceptions about female bodybuilders, or things you wish people knew?
A: I truly wish people would understand that as a FBB we are more than just a BODY! We have a mind and are very compassionate people.

Q: Do you feel muscular women are more or less accepted by society than five years ago?
A: About the same.

Q: If someone told you they wanted to start bodybuilding, what is the one piece of advice you would want to give them?
A: DIET IS 85% of the results you get in the gym!

Q: Do you have any favorite bodybuilders or any you admire?
A: YES, my good friend Jeannie Paparone. She is the most incredible person I have ever met in the industry. And Trudy Ireland, a true sweetheart.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Oh cmon! what else.... PIZZA of course!

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I like bowling, skiing, pool, dirt bikes, playing softball, football.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Shellie Petty.
A: lol, WORK, TRAIN, EAT, SLEEP! No very glamorous!

Q: What is one thing about you that people would be surprised to know?
A: I am a proud recovering alcoholic, 23 years sober one day at a time.

Q: Favorite actor, movie, TV show, and musician?
A: Denzel Washington, Silence of the Lambs, 2 and 1/2 men and Michael Jackson.

Q: Describe Shellie Petty in five words.
A: Driven, Focused, Compassionate, Caring, Outgoing

Q: Shellie, again I ant to thank you for doing this. Any last words before you go?
A: I just want to say its never too late to start. WHERE THE MIND GOES, THE BODY FOLLOWS. I started competing at 46 and am 53 now. its definitely a lifestyle!

No comments:

Post a Comment