Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sarah Barrick Interview




Sarah Barrick is someone I have gotten to know a little about. Sarah is what Fitness is all about. Some people you know will be a success, some people you want to be a success, and some people you root for to be a success. Sarah is all three. She has an obvious love for training and it comes across in her words. She is also a fun and kind woman. She hasn't been competing long, but is already making a name for herself, and it is a name you will be hearing more and more. She has a great physique, is very beautiful, and is destined to be a top woman in this sport for a long long time.





Q: First, Sarah, I want to thank you for taking the time out to do this.
A: Well, thank you for allowing me the opportunity. I'm excited about this!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: Alrighty, well, first I am 21, I'll be turning 22 in April. I was born and raised in Lubbock, Texas. It's a smaller city, where everyone knows each other... I currently live in Albuquerque, New Mexico with my boyfriend of 5 years. We moved to New Mexico so he could join the police force. Back in Lubbock, there were only a few gyms to go to, but they are really nice and I miss them and the people so much! I will be going to college in the fall for Health Education.

Q: Before you started training, were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: Well, I have played one sport or another since I was four years old. Started out with gymnastics, soccer and T-Ball. Then, when I was 12, I tried out for a Junior Olympic volleyball team. I made the team, and our club team stayed together through out high school volleyball. After my sophomore year, I took up competitive kickboxing. So yeah, haha, I've been doing something my whole life. :)

Q:What initially led you into the gym?
A: In junior high, we lifted weights, nothing really serious, but I noticed I was always one of the stronger girls out of the whole class. It motivated me to keep lifting, but I didn't really get into it seriously until I started kickboxing. In kickboxing, you had to be quick, but strong, so lifting was a must as well as condition. While in kickboxing, I met an amazing figure competitor, and she got me started into the sport.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Yes, I picked training up pretty quickly just because of my athletic background and habits. I really started seeing results when I kept a close eye on my nutrition and in about 1-2 months I could already see differences in my physique. I was little, but I was getting leaner and putting on some good lean muscle.

Q: How long were you training when you decided to compete and what made you decide to compete?
A: As I mentioned earlier, athletics and being in the gym was something I've been doing for most of my life. It wasn't until I met a national figure competitor during a kickboxing class that I knew exactly what physique I wanted to achieve and I wanted to see if I could push my body to that level. As soon as I saw her physique, I knew I wanted to try to compete and just ran with it and never looked back. I'm still pushing harder and harder every day; it's a lifestyle!


Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: At the time, my family didn't know much about the world of bodybuilding. The more I complained about the diet and the workouts the more they questioned why I was even going through it. But I suppose after hearing all the horror stories from kickboxing sparring sessions and cardio, they knew if I wanted to do something I may complain now, but I would be very satisfied with it later on. Now my family couldn't be more proud. They like knowing I'm doing something that I am passionate about, and not to mention it's healthy!

Q: Was the first contest what you expected or did anything surprise you?
A: My first contest was the Mid USA / New Mexico State. I had no clue what to expect, other than what my trainers told me at the time. They helped me a lot with the reparation and backstage chaos. Getting on stage for the first time, I am pretty sure there's no way to prepare for that feeling and nervousness. Your adrenaline is pumping and your heart is going crazy. I think I remember freaking out because my cheeks started shaking, I wasn't used to smiling so big for so long. Haha

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: Sure thing! My first show was the Mid USA / New Mexico State which I placed 1st in my classes in both shows. My second show was the NPC West Texas Classic- This one was a National Qualifier and I got 1st place in my class. My third show was the NPC Los Angeles Body Building & Figure Championships- I placed 5th in the tallest class.

Q: What do you consider your best body part or the one that gets the most compliments?
A: I think I like my arms and shoulders the most, but my legs get a lot of attention. When I am show ready, they are pretty sliced-and-diced not to mention BIG. For my height (5'9.5") legs are hard to make look as big as my upper body because they are so long. I give a lot of credit to my volleyball past for my wider quad sweep.


Q: Do you have a favorite part to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love training everything.. I often complain the days that I have to take off. But if I had to pick one, I'd say legs. I am fairly new to the thought of having a complete physique, so I like to make sure that my hams, quads, and glutes are all up to par with everything else.

Q: What is your normal training routine like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: My training routines are pretty much similar all year round. Always heavier, and make it burn. Controlled negatives and mind muscle connection are important to me. I usually alter my nutrition and cardio routines for off season vs. prep. With that being said, like always, if I have more food to work with, I train heavier.

Q: When someone sees or hears you train and compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: I am pretty sure 98% of the time, people's reactions are positive. Every now and then I'll come across a girl, in my line of work, that thinks it's not feminine to be more muscular. Or people that say they could never eat the way we eat, etc. I try to educate them, and they usually come around.

Q: When they see or hear it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: Haha- That would be, "What do you eat?" or "Why?". I end up telling them I actually eat a lot, just frequently! And when they ask "Why?", sometimes I just want to say, "Why not!?" But I tell them it's the challenge and the healthier lifestyle I enjoy following.

Q: You actually have great muscle already. Is moving from Figure to bodybuilding something you have or would consider?
Believe it or not, that was almost one of my answers for the previous question. Haha, But no, I don't have any intentions of going into bodybuilding. I know a few female bodybuilders, that are shorter than me of course, and I know what kind of weight and muscle I'd have to pack on to look proportional. I currently go on stage about 145-150lbs at 7%, so for bodybuilding I'd have to step on stage about 170-180lbs about 4%. I find the seemingly limitless potential of the human body fascinating, but I really enjoy keeping my feminine look, but also being hardcore with it; like being ripped, but still very sleek and sexy.


Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: Well, there are a few that used to bug me when I first started. Things like we are all self-centered, drama queens. Although there are times when I am very hungry and I know I still have another session of cardio that night and I easily get a little grouchy, but I don't let it bother me too much. Also, another would be, "competitors don't do anything but eat sleep and workout." That's totally not true, most of us have careers or are in school. We've just perfected the whole time-management thing, we're good at it because we have to be.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best thing about competing would be seeing your body transform and seeing what you can accomplish with your physique. For me being only 22, and only been training for Figure exclusively for 1 and a half years, I have changed so much. I find it very interesting. I call it my life science project. Nothing about competing is really THAT bad, but definitely the amount of cardio while hungry and sore is really hard to get through. It definitely takes a mentally strong person to get through it.

Q; Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Yup- For my last show, the LA Figure Championships, every Sunday after posing practice I got a cheat meal. And every Sunday I'd go to Coldstone Ice Cream and get something really yummy. By the time I was 2 weeks out, the crew that worked there knew pretty much what I wanted and would already have it being worked on when I walked in. It was really funny and cool. They are awesome.

Q: Are there any other competitors you are a fan of or admire?
A: Oh man, there are quite a few, but there's only a certain couple that I follow and are totally inspirations to me. That'd be Erin Stern, Mary Elizabeth Lado and Valerie Waugaman. I haven't seen Mary or Valerie in the circuit lately, but their attitude and philosophies about training are something I really admire. And Erin's physique is really amazing, it inspires me!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: I would tell her to just do her thing. If she's got a trainer, do what they say, don't let it get too complicated. It's supposed to be a fun journey, so HAVE FUN! Don't skip out on any cardio or one rep...Every rep counts.

Q: Outside of training, and other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I like to play video games, I enjoy cooking, and I like to paint, draw, or do some photography. Oh duh, hanging out with my pups and my boyfriend and watch some movies!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Sarah Barrick.
A: Let's see here... I wake up and eat my first meal and get my things ready for the gym. Head off to the gym train and cardio with a purpose! After the gym, I usually go grocery shopping if I'm running low on food or other stuff. Once home I eat again, do some laundry, dishes whatever needs to be done around the house, pack my meals for the day. Then I head off to work at Max Muscle Sports Nutrition until about 8:00PM. Right after work, I hit the gym a second time for some more cardio and tanning. Eat a meal on the way home, shower, prepare more food for the next day, and chill out on the couch. Certain days I'll practice posing or something like that too.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: Usually when I first meet people in real life, they are surprised to know that I'm only 21. The level of determination and discipline isn't found in a lot of younger people. But I don't think much about it, I just do what I think is fun and stay happy with it. Also, I am a little nerdy. I like video games and in school I was kinda one of the class nerds. Really interested in science especially in the area of Atmospheric Science. In my early years of high school I interned at Texas Tech University's Atmospheric Science Department while juggling all sorts of sports and activities. I love storm chasing, it's totally exhilarating and fun. Oh- and I'm really goofy, always saying something funny, having a good time at the gym. Sometimes I am really blonde....Uh-oh... Blonde moment! AH


Q: Favorite actor, movie, TV show,and musician?
A: Hmm... Favorite actor: Michelle Rodriguez. Favorite Movie: Pursuit of Happiness or Twister. Favorite TV Show: Biggest Loser or The Soup. Favorite Musician: I really like all kinds of stuff, but I like what gets me moving in the gym, so either Black Eyed Peas or Lil' Kim.

Q: Describe Sarah Barrick in five words.
A: Fun! Silly! Determined! Persistent! Goofy!

Q: Any set plans for the future as far as competing or anything else?
A: This year I want to compete in a national show for the first time. I believe my physique is right there, so it's just getting a new suit and coming in just a tad harder. I also want to finish up my degree to teach Health to 9th graders.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: My wonderful trainers near and far! Mike Davies- Fitness Factory (www.mikedaviesfitness.com) and Jojo Ntiforo (www.jojontiforo.com). They believed in me when most people didn't and have taken me to new and higher levels of fitness. I've learned a lot with them, and I am totally grateful. They are the best!

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they contact you and what are they getting in Sarah Barrick the athlete and competitor?
A: I am actually in dire need of sponsors... haha! They'd be getting a hard-working, determined, young'n with a lot of potential for the future in figure as well as the fitness modeling world. I'm laid back and willing to have a lot of fun! I want to inspire other young girls to make the time to get in incredible shape now! My e-mail address is barricksarah@yahoo.com I check it constantly as I get e-mail on my phone.

Q: Again, Sarah I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to tell a little bit about myself. What you're doing for competitors is totally awesome! And I just want to tell any woman reading this that may be thinking about competing, to GO FOR IT! You'll never know how easy or hard it may be until you try. You'll have fun, I promise. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment