Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Michelle Laurin Interview

Michelle Laurin is what the sport of bodybuilding is all about. She does it because she loves it. She puts in a lot of work and the results are an amazing physique highlighted by a great back. But Michelle is more than just a bodybuilder. She is a beautiful woman who is such a pleasure to talk to. Michelle will be achieving a dream and competing at the Arnold in March and no doubt she will bring a great package to the stage. If you are a sponsor looking for a competitor Michelle is teh woman you want to take a look at. What does a sponsor like? Great Physique, Michelle has that. Love of teh sport, Michelle has that. Hard working, beautiful, great communicator, all things Michelle has and has a lot of. Here is my interview with a woman you jsut have to root for.



Q: First Michelle, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: I am very happy to have you take part. Its My Pleasure and thank you for the
opportunity

Q: Can you start out by just telling a little about yourself. Family, where
you are from, things like that.
A:My Name is Michelle Laurin, I was born and raised in Northern Ontario Canada. I live in New Zealand now with my three children. Samuel 16, Sophie 15, Jackson 12. I am a Personal Trainer at the University Of Waikato Hamilton New Zealand. I moved to New Zealand in 1992.

Q: Before you started with bodybuilding, were you a very athletic person?
Play any sports?
A: Yes I was!!, from as early as I can remember I have been into running and athletics, gymnastics, I played soccer, volleyball, basketball,and baseball. I have done triathalons and duathalons, rock climbing, cross country running and speed skating.as well as an aerobics Instructor. I have always been active, I will try any sport. I have done extreme sport as well such as The Waikato Tough GuY challenge...Google it, its AWESOME!! if you dont mind freezing temperatures, lakes, and mud .

Q: what got you into the gym to begin with? Did you do bodybuilding right
away, or was that after being in the gym for awhile?
A: Well I had been an Instructor in Canada and in New Zealand, so after the birth of my son Jackson, I decided i would go back to the gym. So when he was about two yrs old I did just that. At first just started with cardio and a few light weights, over a month or two I was amazed at the changes the weights made to my body. The owner of the Gym approached me and asked if I had ever thought of getting into Bodybuilding...I thought he was crazy, In the end I decided I would train and diet as though I was going to compete, it wasn't until about 6 weeks out that I committed to competing. I won my very first show and I was hooked

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you saw
results?
A: Yes it really was.....I absolutely LOVED it. It just made sense to me, I saw results very quickly. I competed at my first show within a year of picking up my first weights lol

Q: What made you decide to compete the first time?
A: It was more of a Why the hell not??? I had alot of really good support and I am very competitive. It sounded fun.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time,
and how about now?
A: Some did, my immediate family were awesome. Extended family not really, not their cup of tea. My true friends have been very supportive.

Q: Was your first contest what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: Yes!! the fact that I won and I was actually quite good at it, (training,
dieting etc) surprised the heck out of me. My first show is still one of my
most wonderful memories. I had no expectations at all, then to win??????wow!!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: Oh my , I will probably get some of this wrong but,
2001 Auckland Under 52kgs Champ, 2001 Christchurch
Nationals - 2nd, 2002 Taranaki Champ Under 52kgs and Best Overall Female
Physique, from here it gets blurry, but wellington under 52kgs
Champ,Hamilton under 52kgs Champ 2003 National under 52kgs Champ, King
country Champ Under 52kgs, as well as King Country Best Overall Physique,
2004 Nationals - 3rd Under 52kg ...4 yr break...came back in 2008....CNI
Under 55kg Champ and Best Overall Physique, 2008 National Champ Under 55kgs
and Ms New Zealand Best Overall National title, 2009 under 55kg National
Champ, Runner up Ms New Zealand.

Q: What do you consider your best body part or the one that gets the most
compliments?
A: Definitely my back.

Q: Do you have a favorite body part to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love Chest day.

Q: Can you share your normal training routine and diet, and how you alter
it for contest prep?
A: Basically in the off season I eat well but alot more than when dieting down for a show, I train 5 or 6 days a week depending on energy levels and recovery, I try to maintain training throughout contest prep, I add my cardio in and alter my diet. Changing portion sizes and keeping it very clean and strict. I find I can go quite low carb without too much difficulty.

Q: When someone sees your physique for the first time, what is the most
common response? More negative or positive?
A: Usually positive, things like "WHOA, you must be a bodybuilder"...But sometimes it is negative, its just ignorance. It does annoy me when people are negative about it and feel quite comfortable verbalizing it. If I was to say something to someone about the fact that they were over weight, that would be innappropriate......Goes both ways....Im healthy and Im an athelete and I work very hard to look this way.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question you are sick
of hearing?
A: "Are you training again??" People think we stop training and only train for a show. I train all the time, I diet for a show.....


Q: Are there any misconcepetions about female bodybuilders, or things you
wish people knew?
A: Yes there are several!!! Mainly that we are not real women...that really annoys me. I am as girly as they come, but everyone thinks bodybuilding women aren't feminine.......so not true.

Q: Do you feel muscular women are more accepted by society today then they
were five years ago?
A: No not really, which is unfortunate.

Q: Someone comes up to you and says "women should not be that muscular" How
do you respond?
A: I don't. Doesn't deserve a response.

Q: If someone told you that wanted to start bodybuilding, what is the one
piece of advice you would want to give them?
A: Take it in baby steps, get the basics right and find someone you admire and trust to get advice from and stick with them. Otherwise you will just get confused and exhausted and give it up. its a lifestyle.

Q: Do you have any favorite bodybuilders or any you admire?
A: Several, Anja Langer ,Laura Crevelle, Lenda Murray,My friends Melody Spetko and Sheila Bleck , and fellow Kiwi, Jo Stewart.On the men's side I have had the pleasure of meeting, Dexter Jackson, Melvin Anthony, Tony Freeman, Troy Alves, Tua Dextor and Of course Our own NZFBB President and 10th at the Olympia, My dear friend Moe Moussaoui......this man has been truely inspirational to me.

Q: What is the best and worst part of the sport?
A: Best Part is the Thrill of seeing the results of your hard work and the joy of competing and winning, the worst part is the espense, Im a solo mum , and live week to week with my three babies, a sponsor would be wonderful as I would love to stay in the sport and travel and compete around the world

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Definitely My daughter's Lasagna and My homemade ice cream!!! yummmmmmmmm, my mouth is watering now...lol

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activites you enjoy?
A: I Love to read when I get time, and love cooking and baking and Music, but mostly
hanging with my kids I LOVE being a Mum

Q: Can you desribe a typical day in the life of Michelle Laurin?
A: Well at the moment , get up early cardio for an hour, usually hills, brekkie, time with kids, train, work, cardio bed lol aaaahhhhh the life of a bodybuilder...

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: Hmmm thats a tough one.....Well maybe that I come from a native American
background or that I am a trained Ambulance officer? Although stood down last year due to family and job committments.

Q: Favorite movie, actor, TV show, and musician?
A: I love comedians, adore Nickleback, Evanescence, Tim Mcgraw and Reba. Im a real trekkie, Love Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock

Q: Desribe Michelle Laurin in five words.
A: Passionate, Gentle, Kind, Loyal, Strong

Q" Any set plans for 2010 as far as competing or any other projects?
A: Oh yes, My dream come true !!! The Arnold Classics Amateur in Ohio.....I have
dreamed of this for sooooo long, just hoping to get some finacial assistance........any sponsors out there?????

Q: Anything you want to take the time to plug or promote?
A: Ummmmmm ME???? lol Im a great Trainer and a fantastic spokesperson !!!! and I love to travel lol.

Q: Sponsors are important for a competitor. Are you looking for any, if so,
how can they contact you and what are they getting in Michelle Laurin the
athlete and competitor?
A: Absolutely, I have never had one. They can contact
me on email, shellyb@slingshot.co.nz or phone 64276197959. I am a dam hard worker and very professional, I am a fantatstic communicator and have a great passion for life and living it to the full. I am a "can do" sort of person. Very Outgoing and plenty of experience in many areas, love working with people and public speaking.

Q: Michelle thansk so much for doing this. Is there anything you want to
add before you go?
A: Just that I love this sport and the people I have met since I began Bodybuilding. I have met some of the most amazing people and feel so blessed. Bodybuilding has changed my life enriched it no end and changed my body completely, I look forward to a long career in bodybuilding and I would love to work for a company thats supports and promotes the sport.
Thank you for the opportunity Jason , I am truely Humbled and Honored. God
Bless..

No comments:

Post a Comment