Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lindsey McFerran Interview




Lindsey McFerran is a woman who i just a short time has become one of my favorite people not just in fitness, but anywhere. I came across her because of another interview I did, and at first glance, like anyone who sees her, found her to be stunningly beautiful. Then I got to know her. Talk about impressed! How impressed? Never have I ever asked anyone to write a weekly column so shortly after meeting them. I am so honored that she said yes, and so Lindsey will begin writing weekly for this blog, and no doubt you will love it. An athlete all her life, Lindsey has used that to begin competing in Figure. She is young, looks amazing, and has all the time in the world to achieve her goal, which I believe she will achieve, the coveted Pro card. SO here is a great interview with a great woman.




Q: First, Lindsey, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Hey Jason,
Actually, I want to thank you for having me. It is my pleasure. Also, I want to say good luck to you in your journey. Once you reach you training goals you will see that all the cardio and weight sessions were well worth it.

Q: Can you start by by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: Sure, I would love to talk about myself. Well, I am a Washington native, born and raised. I just moved back here because I spent 4 years in California attending the University of Redlands. So I am still trying to get used to the weather change again. My dad says that the four years down at college made my blood thinner.LOL

Q: Before the gym, were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: Yes, I was definitely a very athletic person before the gym. I was not gifted with musical talent or a lot of book smarts. But I was definitely good at sports when I was growing up. Growing up I played soccer, basketball, volleyball, softball, and was a pretty good skier.

Q: What initially led you to the gym?
A: What initially led me into the gym was when I was getting serious in basketball in high school, my coach introduced me to weight lifting. I picked it up quickly. I had not a lot of knowledge, but all I knew was it helped me to play better in basketball. I was able to jump a lot higher and when I fell on the court, I would just hop right back up.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you saw results?
A: When I first started training I was just doing it in order to help me with my basketball game as well as help to prevent injuries. The results at that time were making me a better ball player. Also at this time, I had no clue about nutrition and how big a role that plays in training.


Q: How long were you training when you decided to compete and what made you decide to compete?
A: Let's see, well I went off to college an played basketball. So I knew I was not going to be able to do both. So it was not till the end of my senior season that I began to get serious about my training and thinking competition. Then when I moved back up to Washington after I graduated I hooked up with my trainer from Elite Body, Dan Meese. Who I have to give a shout out to him, he is a wonderful guy and he really knows about training and nutrition. I owe a lot to him for helping me get ready to compete.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: Let's see, my family and friends were supportive about it ONCE I told them exactly what a Figure competition was. See, if you are not in the fitness or training arena when you talk about muscular women strutting around in high heels and spray tanned like Malibu Barbie, sometimes they look at you like YOU ARE THE CRAZY ONE. LOL
But for the most part my family and friends were very supportive because I had told them that I was going to do one even before I started contest prep. It was also nice because one of the gals I work with has also done bodybuilding competitions so she was very supportive as well.

Q: Was the first competition what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: Let me tell you my first competition I was scared shitless, but once I got on stage I literally crapped my pants. My posing for the first show was horrendous, I did not even place. All the judges told me I had the best physique, but my posing was so bad that it was hard to tell. Which is the truth because I look back at photos of the Ironman when I was on stage posing and it looks like a semi-truck could have gone through my legs.
I guess what surprised me was I never though I would get that nervous on stage. But I loved the mixture of nervousness and exciting and then I WAS HOOKED.


Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: Well my contest history is pretty short as of right now. I have only competed in two shows. My first show was the Washington Ironman in 2009, where like I said my posing was a train wreck, so I did not place.
Well, you learn a lot from your first show. Then I did my second show about a month later, it was Northwest Champions in Olympia, where I came in second. So not too shabby for a rookie.

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Umm, that is a tough questions; personally I like my shoulders and back a lot. Also I get a lot of compliments on my abs, but the funny thing is I HATE DOING AB EXERCISES, so I rarely do them.LOL

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train or favorite exercise?
A: Let's see, lately since I am trying to put some size on my back, I have been loving training back using dumbell rows, those are one of my favorites. Also I have enjoyed doing leg extensions. A couple weeks ago I did 240lbs on them and I was pretty gosh darn excited.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: A normal training routine, well right now I am trying to add size so I lift weights 6 days a week focusing on a different body part each day. I train legs twice a week.
Here is my usual split:
Day 1: Legs (focus on hammies)
Day 2: Shoulders
Day 3: Chest
Day 4: Legs (focus on quads)
Day 5: Back
Day 6: Arms
It does not always go in this order, depending on my rest days as well as what I work with my trainer. But it gives you an idea. Also I try to go as heavy as I can.
As far as cardio is concerned, since I am trying to put on some size, I don't do a lot of it. As of right now I am 20 minutes about 5 or 6 days a week. This is really hard for me right now because I am a cardio whore and enjoy doing it. But at the same time, I want to pack on some quality muscle so I will have to put cardio impulses aside. :-)
Well, when I alter it for contest prep, the cardio WILL DEFINITELY GO UP. I will start doing cardio before breakfast right when I wake up, so that I can get the maximum fat burning benefit. A lot of people don't like doing cardio first thing in the morning, but I enjoy it because of various reasons. It gets it out of the way, it amps up your metabolism for the whole day, in my opinion it really helps to lean you out and I am all for that.
Also in terms of contest prep, I will begin changing my nutrition, like lowering my calories slightly as well as my carbohydrate intake.


Q: When someone sees or hears you compete for the first time what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Wow, that is a good question. When someone hears I compete for the first time there first reaction is "wow, I could never have the discipline and dedication to do that." Then there second question they always ask is " WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO TAN?" LOL

Q: When they see or hear it that first time what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: Probably the one question or comment that I am sick of hearing is "Do you eat normal food or are you allowed to eat food?"
So I pose the question to you and fellow bloggers, WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER NORMAL FOOD because normal food in my opinion is oats, eggs, chicken, and veggies. Now a Big Mac and fries (only on my cheat meal maybe, but probably not because fast food gives me gas.LOL)

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete, or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: Umm, let's see, the biggest misconception, that is a hard one. I guess I will have to say, and it does not have to do with competing, just weight training in general. But the fact that a lot of women who believe they are going to get bulky from lifting heavy weights. I always have to tell them, actually correction, I have to SHOW THEM. I lift heavy weights and do I look bulky? NO? CASE AND POINT.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: OK, I cant pick just one, so I am going to give you a list of the best and worsts.
Best:
*Hanging out with all the competitors backstage
*Hitting the stage and knowing that you have reached your goal
*The fatty cheat meal you eat after the show with your friends and family
*All the people that come out to see and support you
*Getting oiled up backstage
Worst
*Putting glue on your butt so your suit does not ride up on you.
*Trying to shave your back so that the tanner stays on (I had to ask my mom to do this for me)
*The fact that the tanner stays on for about 2 weeks after your competition
*DEHYDRATION- the fact that you aren't allowed to drink a lot of water, so you feel like you are on an episode of Survivor
*And the absolute worst is the wait time between pre-judging and the night show.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Yes I do, in fact, let's see, I admire Nicole Berg a female bodybuilder who I was able to hang out with backstage with at my Olympia show. She recently got her Pro card so that is awesome for her. I also have a lot of respect for Diane Rudholm because of her awesome spirit as well as her wonderful stage presence. As far as physique's are concerned, I admire Gina Aliotti's.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Let's see, favorite cheat food; well I really enjoy any burger from Red Robbin and their endless supply of fries. Also I have a sweet tooth too so give me a good dessert and I am a happy camper as well.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: One piece of advice I would give her would be to stick with it even if you are not seeing results at first. Also, I would also tell her to consult with a trainer so that she is able to find out what works well for her.


Q: Any set goals as far as your competitive career?
A: Well, since I am just a rookie in my competitive career, I have a lot of goals. On of my big goals is I want to get my Pro card. But as far as other goals are concerned, I am excited to work on my physique, put on some size, work on my posing, and get ready to hit the stage in the summery where I will hopefully be UNSTOPPABLE.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Outside of training, I love to dance, especially to hip-hop music or give me some Michael Jackson "Beat It" and I will throw it down. Actually When I was prepping for my show, I was getting a lot of bruises on my knees from dancing so my trainer said I had to stop dancing.LOL
Other activities for me include coaching and playing basketball, watching movies, playing on Facebook of course, and hanging out with friends.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Lindsey McFerran.
A: A typical day in the life of Lindsey Nicole McFerran, let's see.......
Get up at 4:40am, hop out of bed, go to the kitchen and make my favorite meal, oats with chocolate protein powder. Then get my stuff ready to hit the gym for weights. I usually workout from 5:30 to about 7:00am, I know it is an early time, but Is seriously can't wait to get my butt into the gym. Then I come home, shower, eat again and get ready for work. I work as a secretary for a law firm. Then I work till about 2:00pm. Then it is off for me to coach BOYS BASKETBALL. Yes I coach boys basketball.
Then once I am done with practice, I come home around 6pm, eat more and relax for the rest of the night, and prep my meals, and just hang out.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: One thing people would be surprised to know about me, let's see, I am a nude model, it that surprise enough for you.LOL

Q: Favorite actor, movie, TV show, and musician?
A: Favorite movie- Love and Basketball
Favorite TV show- This is a tough one; I like One Tree Hill and Degrassi. But my absolute favorite TV show in the whole wide world is THE BIGGEST LOSER. I love Jillian Michaels.
Favorite Musician- As of right now, I am a huge Lady Gaga fan. Pokerface was my anthem to my contest prep.

Q: Describe Lindsey McFerran in five words.
A: I only get five words?LOL. Dedicated, Driven, Disciplined, Easygoing, and Funny.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Let's see, I am hitting the stage again in July, so I can't wait for that. Other than that, I am a recent college graduate, so I am trying to figure out what I want to do with my life, as well as finding a job so I have a steady source of income because COMPETING CAN BE EXPENSIVE.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Well can I promote that I am SINGLE. LOL JK
Actually I want to just plug a campaign that Diane Rudholm is heading up as well as some other athletes in the Washington area, including myself are going to be a part of called Saving Strength. It is basically promoting weight training and clean eating to women and trying to put to rest a lot of stereotypes associated with training. The main message is to help to promote positive self-esteem to women through training. We are just in the beginning stages of it, but thanks for letting me plug it.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they reach you and what are they getting in Lindsey McFerran the athlete and competitor?
A: Yes I am definitely looking for sponsors, and they can reach me at my email at lindsey_mcferran@redlands.edu or they can Facebook me as well.
As far as what they are getting in Lindsey McFerran the athlete and competitor, they are going to get a RUN FOR THEIR MONEY LOL. I mean I love training and I would love to be able to promote in in any way I can.
Also if any of those sponsors in the Washington area know of any jobs, Like Is aid, I am a recent college grad and am looking for work.

Q: Lindsey, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thanks for letting me do this Jason, and it was a pleasure. Any last words? Let's see, to all the people out there, keep training hard.
Also check me out because I will be doing a weekly column for Jason, so I also want to thank him for that opportunity.
I guess I will leave you with this quote, I love it:
"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength"

No comments:

Post a Comment